Document Type : Research Paper
Background and Objectives
Horse Mint (Mentha longifolia synMentha sylvestris) is a valuable medicinal and aromatic plant belonging to Lamiaceae family. This plant has been used traditionally as stimulative, tonic, antispasm, antiflatulence, gall bladderastringent and mild soothing in Iran. The aim of this study was to evaluate the essential oils content and composition of Mentha longifolia L. from five wild habitats of Fars province.
Materials and methods
The aerial parts of Mentha longifolia L. at flowering stage were collected from the wild habitats of these plants and dried in shadow. The air-dried aerial parts of samples were subjected to hydrodistillation method, using Clevenger apparatus. The constituents of essential oils were determined by GC and GC/MS.
The results showed that the highest and lowest oil content were obtained from Marvdasht (5.5%) and Larestan (1.17 %) ecotypes, respectively. In total, 33, 32, 26, 27 and 28 components were identified and quantified in the oil samples of Sepidan, Waterfall Margoon, Jahrum, Larestan and Marodasht ecotypes, respectively. In general, essential oils were characterized by high amounts of oxygenated monoterpene compounds. The major components were pulegone (25.36-53.44 %), piperitenone (4.93-43.9 %), 1, 8-cineole (1.1-13.33 %), piperitenone oxid (1.06-19.33 %) and menthone (0/98-10/28 %).
According to the medicinal value of pulegone, in this research the horse mint oil had high percentage of this compound and can be concluded that the plant from Fars provience is a rich source of pulegone. For obtaining the highest oil content and pulegone, the best ecotypes were Marvdasht and Waterfall Margoon, respectively.
- Abaszade, B., Rezaee, M.B., Ardekani, M.R., and Baseri, R. 2008. Study of morphological traits and flowering tops yield of Mentha species collected from different regions. Research in Agriculture, 1(1): 41-51. [In Farsi]
- Adams, R.P. 2007. Identification of essential oil components by gas chromatography/ quadruple mass spectroscopy. Carol Stream IL: Allured Publishing Cropration, 804 P.
- Anderson, I.B., Mullen, W.H., Meeker, J.E., Khojasteh- Bakht, S.C. Oishi, S., and Nelson, S.D. 1996. Pennyroyal toxicity: Measurement of toxic metabolite levels in two cases and review of the literature. Journal of Internal Medicine, 124: 726-34.
- Araus, K., Uquiche, E., and Del Valle, J.M. 2008. Matrix effects in supercritical CO2 extraction of essential oils from plant material. Journal of Food Engineering, 92: 438-447.
- Arnold, M.L. 1997. Natural hybridization and evolution. Oxford University Press, New York, pp: 118-125.
- Asekun, O.T., Grierson, D.S., and Afolaya, A.J. 2007. Effect of drying methods on
the quality and quatity of the essential oil of Mentha longifolia subsp. Capensis. Food Chemistry, 10: 995-998.
- Azarkish, P. 2015. Evaluation of morphological and phytochemical diversity of some horse mint (Mentha Longifolia L.) ecotypes in South West of Iran. M.Sc. Thesis in Horticulture Ferdowsi Univesity of Mashhad. [In Farsi]
- Chen, L.J., Lebetkin, E.H., and Burka, L.T. 2001. Metabolism of (R)-(+)-pulegone in F344 rats. Drug Metabolism and Disposition, 29: 1567-77.
- Coleman, W.M., Perfetti, T.A., and Suberjr, R.L. 1998. Quantitive analysis of menthol isomer distributions in selected samples. Journal of Chromatographic Science, 36: 318-321.
- Davazdahemami, S. and Majnoonhosini, N. 2013. Cultivation and production of certain herbs and species. Tehran University Press, Tehran, 300 P. [In Farsi]
- Diaz-Maroto, C., Castillo, N., Castro-Vazquez, L., Gonzalez-Vinas, M. and Perez-Coello, S. 2007. Volatile composition and olfactory profile of pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) plants. Flavour and Fragrance Journal. 22: 114-18.
- Dietz, B.M. and Bolton, J.L. 2010. Biological reactive intermediates (BRIs) formed from botanical dietary Chemico-Biological Interactions, 192: 72-80.
- Dong, J., Ma, X., Wei, Q., Peng, S., and Zhang, S. 2010. Effects of growing location on the contents of secondary metabolites in the leaves of four selected superior clones of Eucommia ulmoides. Industrial Crops and Products, 34: 1607-1614.
- Dzamic, A.M., Sokovic, M.D., Ristic, M.S., Novakovic, M., Grujic-Jovanovic, S., Tesevic, V., and Marin, P.D. 2010. Antifungal and antioxidant activity of Mentha longifolia (L.) Hudson (Lamiaceae) essential oil. Botanica Serbica, 34: 57-62.
- EI-Gazzar, A. and Watsonn, L. 1970. A taxonomic study of the labiatae and related genera. New Phytologist, 69: 451-486.
- Gaeini, Z., Sohrabvandi, S., Sobhani, R., and Soleimani, M. 2013. Characteristics of pennyroyal essential oils. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences and Food Technology, 7(5): 661-668. [In Farsi]
- Gordon, W.P., Forte, A.J., McMurtry, R.J., Gal, J., and Nelson, S.D. 1982. Hepatotoxicity and pulmonary toxicity of pennyroyal oil and its constituent terpenes in the mouse. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 65: 413-24.
- Gulluce, M., Sahin, F., Sokmen, M., Ozer, H., Daferera, D., Sokmen, A., Polissiou, M., Adiguzel, A., and Ozkan, H. 2007. Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of the essential oils and methanol extract from Mentha longifolia ssp. longifolia. Food Chemistry, 103: 1449-1456.
- Hafedh, H., Fethi, B.A., Mejdi, S., Emira, N., and Amina, B. 2010. Effect of Mentha longifolia ssp longifolia essential oil on the morphology of four pathogenic bacteria visualized by atomic force microscopy. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 4: 1122-1127.
- Jaimand, K. and Rezaee, M.B. 2002. Chemical constituents of essential oils from Mentha longifolia (L.) Hudson var. asiatica (Boriss.) Rech. from Iran. Journal of Essential Oil Research, 14: 107-108.
- Jazani, N.H., Ghasemnejad-berenji, H. and Sadegpoor, S. 2009. Antibacterial effects of Iranian Mentha pulegium essential oil on isolates of Klebsiella Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 12: 183-5.
- Kamkar, A., Javan, A.J., Asadi, F. and Kamalinejad, M. 2010. The antioxidative effect of Iranian Mentha pulegium extracts and essential oil in sunflower oil. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 48: 1796-800
- Khan, R.A., Khan, F., Mushtaq, A., Shah, A.S., Khan, N.A., Khan, M.R., and Shah, M.S. 2011. Phytotoxic and antibacterial assays of crude methanolic extract of Mentha longifolia (Linn.). African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 5:
- Kokkini, S., Karousou, R., and Lanaras, T. 1995. Essential oils of spearmint (carvone-rich) plants from the island of Crete (Greece). Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 23: 425-30.
- Mahmodi, R., Tajik, H., Farshid, A.A., Ehsani, A., Zaree, P., and Moradi, M. 2011. Phytochemical properties of Mentha longifolia essential oil and its antimicrobial effects on Staphylococcus aureus. Armaghane Danesh Journal, 16(5): 400-412.
- Mirzaaie-nadoushan, H., Rezaie, M., and Jaimand, K. 2001. Path analysis of the essential oil-related characters in Mentha Flavour and Fragrance Journal, 16: 340-343.
- Mkaddem, M., Bouajila, J., Ennajar, M., Lebrihi, A., Mathieu, F., and Romdhane, M. 2009. Chemical composition and antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Mentha (longifolia and viridis) essential oils. Journal of Food Science, 74:
- Mohkami, Z. 2011. Evalouation of some morphological characteristics and phytochemical of native Mentha paputation in Golestan provionce. MSc Thesis in Horticulture, Gorgan Universty in Agriculture and Natural Resource. [In Farsi]
- Mozaffarian, V. 2013. A dictionary of Iranian plant names. Farhang Moaser Publishers Press. Tehran, Iran, pp: 228-230. [In Farsi]
- Naghibi, F., Mosaddegh, M., Mohammadi, Motamed, S., and Ghorbani, A. 2005.
Labiatae family in folk medicine in Iran from ethnobotany to pharmacology. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2: 63-79.
- Nobakht, A., Norani, J., and Safamehr. A. 2011. The effects of different amounts of Mentha pulegium (pennyroyal) on performance, carcass traits, hematological and blood biochemical parameters of broilers. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 5: 3763-3768.
- Omidbeaigi, R. 2013. Production and processing of medicinal plants. Vol. I. Behnashr Press. Mashhad, Iran. 347 P. [In Farsi]
- Pérez-Calderon, R., Gonzalo-Garijo, A., Bartolome- Zavala, B., Lamilla-Yerga, A., and Moreno-Gaston, I. 2007. Occupational cantact urticaria due to pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium). Contact Dermatitis, 57: 285-286.
- Rim, I.S. and Jee, C.H. 2006. Acaricidal effects of herb essential oils against Dermatophagoides farinae and pteronyssinus (Acari: Pyroglyphidae) and qualitative analysis of an herb Mentha pulegium (pennyroyal). Korean Journal of Parasitology, 44: 133-8.
- Smith, T.J., George, D.R., Sparagano, O.A.E., Seal, C., Shiel, R.S., and Guy, J.H. 2009. A pilot study into the chemical and sensorial effect of thyme and pennyroyal essential oil on hens eggs. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 44: 1836-1842.
- Stanisavljevic, D.M., Dordevic, S., Ristic, M., Velickovic, D., and Randelovic, N.V. 2010. Effects of different drying methods on the yield and the composition of essential oil from herb Mentha longifolia (L.). Journal of Biologica Science, 1:
- Sullivan, J.B., Rumack, B.H., Thomas, H. Jr Peterson, R.G., and Bryson, P. 1979. Pennyroyal oil poisoning and hepatotoxicity. Journal of the Mississippi State Medical Association, 242: 2873-2874.
- Tajali, A.A., Amin, G.R., and Gandomkar Ghalheri, A. 2009. Identification chemical composition essential oil of Camphorosma monspeliaca at different phenological stages in rangeland of Arak, Hamedan and Sharekord. Journal of Rangeland Science, 3(2): 302-316. [In Farsi]
- Teixeira, B., Marques, A., Ramos, C., Batista, I., Serrano, C., Matos, O., Neng, N.R., Nogueira, J.M.F., Saraiva, J.A., and Nunes, M.L. 2012. European pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) from Portugal: Chemical composition of essential oil and antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of extracts and essential oil. Industrial Crops and Products, 36: 81-87.
- Vallnce, W.B. and Edin, M.B. 1955. Pennyroyal poisoning, a fatal case. The Lancet. 269: 850-851
- Vian, M.A., Fernandez, X., Visinoni, F., and Chemat, F. 2008. Microwave hydrodiffusion and gravity, a new technique for extraction of essential oils. Journal
of Chromatography A, 1190: 14-17.
- Younis, Y.M.H. and Beshir, S.M. 2004. Carvone-rich essential oils from Mentha longifolia (L.) Huds. ssp. schimperi Briq. and Mentha spicata grown in Sudan. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 16: 539-541.
- Zargari, A. 2011. Medicinal Plants. Tehran University Publication. Tehran, Iran. 1: 249-265. [In Farsi]